Last weekend Zach's friends were having a garage sale to raise money for a friends family. Since I didn't have that much to sell this year I decided to make cupcakes. I went a little crazy making them. I was planning on just making carrot cake, but then decided I wanted to play around a bit. I ended up with 6 different types of cupcake flavors.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate (spicy chocolate cake with a mexican chocolate cream cheese frosting)
- Rolo (chocolate cake with Rolo candy baked inside and a carmel drizzle with star confetti).
- Fluer de Sel (chocolate cake with carmel inside and a chocolate buttercream frosting and sea salt flakes)
- Carrot Cake (with cream cheese frosting)
- Carrot Ginger (carrot cake with ginger cream cheese frosting and crystallized ginger on top)
- Vanilla Buttercream (vanilla cake with a buttercream frosting colored teal & yellow)
I used the Magnolia's cookbook for most of the frosting except the Mexican Hot Chocolate. I found a recipe on the food network, then changed a few things. Here's what I ended up using...
Mexican Hot Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
For the cake I used used a chocolate cake and added 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.